Saturday, March 27, 2010

BITTER SWEET RIP OFF

Andrew Oldham's, The Rolling Stones Songbook is an orchestral collection of Stones classics from the mid 1960's. One song in particular has an important relevance to any fan of the Verve. Track 11, The Last Time is the song that Richard Ashcroft stole music from for his largest commercial hit, Bitter Sweet Symphony. To This day I don't think the Verve have received any royalties for Bitter Sweet. I'm Guessing it all goes into Mick Jaggers deep pockets. Bitter Sweet Symphony is a dead ringer for The Last Time with it's strings and beat so well known now thanks to Mr. Ashcroft and friends. Bitters Sweet Symphony is still a classic and I tip my hat to The Verve for taking what they wanted. Would they do it differently had they known it would cost them millions? "Let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind, I feel free now"

No comments:

Post a Comment